Questions related to your study programme

There are several people who can help you with questions or problems you might have concerning your study programme. For example, about which courses to choose, or what to do if you’re falling behind. You can contact the following advisors and counsellors.  

Disability or chronic illness

If you have a disability or chronic illness, you may request additional provisions to enable you to study more effectively. Utrecht University is committed to making it easier for students with a disability to carry on their studies and has developed a variety of different schemes, regulations and facilities for this purpose.  For example, if you suffer from any of the following:

  • Visual, auditory or motor impairments;
  • Dyslexia;
  • Chronic and psychological disorders (including depression, an autistic spectrum disorder, ADD or ADHD, Chrohn's disease, diabetes, asthma, rheumatism, ME/CFS, RSI/CANS, etc.).

The Study Advisor for your degree programme can provide you with the exact details of the options available to you, in terms of specially adapted services, financial assistance and other support you can avail of during your studies. The agreements regarding the special provisions will be laid down in a contract. Do you have a written certificate from a medical professional? If so, please take it along to your meeting with the Study Advisor. It is important to contact the necessary people as soon as possible - preferably well before you start the degree programme - to ensure that there is enough time to make the necessary preparations.

The programme leader can help you in defining and planning your personal study programme.

You can contact your study advisor if you need advice in planning your studies, making the right choices and tailoring your curriculum to your interests and career wishes. If you’re running into personal problems that might hold back your study progress, you can get advice or a referral to someone if necesary. Please contact the study advisor as soon as you expect something like this -or any other matter- is causing a delay in your studies. 

Student Affairs Geosciences can help you with questions that are not answered on this website about your study programme, schedules, student progress review, examinations, exemptions, study abroad, and your graduation.

For questions not answered on this site about exchange programmes, you can seek assistance from the International Office Geosciences.

Questions not related to your study programme

In some cases you may want to consult someone who is not related to your specific study programme. For example, if you fall behind due to extenuating circumstances or mental health issues, and it is not possible to correct this through an adjustment in your programme. If this is the case, you may use the contacts mentioned below.

We have put together some study tips and useful links and offer a number of workshops which can help you to improve your study skills.

Student services provides information about studying and student life, such as information about admissions, registration, tuition fees, student finance, administrative grants, career orientation, student organisations and studying abroad.

Student psychologists can help you to solve study-related problems and to address personal problems. Read more information here and book an appointment.

Student Counsellors provide advice and support to students who have suffered a serious study delay or are threatening to fall behind. Possible reasons could be a disability or chronic illness, membership of a board of a student organisation or participation in sports at an international level.

The Study Advisor or your Tutor can refer you to a Student Counsellor if you wish to terminate your enrolment due to illness or exceptional family circumstances, if you face financial problems or if you wish to make use of the university schemes offering financial support.

To schedule an appointment, contact Student Services.

Skills Lab - the gateway to your academic development- is an accessible service desk where UU students can get a clear idea of what courses, workshops, individual tutoring, electronic tools, etc. are available to them. Much is available, but this wealth or resources can be hard to find and access for students with specific questions. We can show students where to go to improve any skill, be it writing, presentation, studying, or job-hunting.

You can visit the Career Officer to discuss your options in the labour market. The Career Officer is fully informed about the labour market for university graduates and can also help you decide which career to choose. The Career Officer can also provide a career training and check your application letter and CV. Read more on Career Services.

If you are having second thoughts about the programme you have chosen or if you are trying to decide what Master’s programme to choose, you can contact the Academic Support Advisor Ms. Jacky Limvers (

More information about Study choice.

Studying without Limitations is a platform for and by students with a disability. Besides involvement in policy decisions and providing information they also offer guidance for students with a disability such as dyslexia, AD(H)D, autism and so on. Do you want more information, or would you like to have a buddy for extra support or guidance regarding your study or themes outside your study such as in living, working and going out? Then perhaps our buddy programme is something for you.

More information.