Studying with a disability

If you have a disability or chronic illness, Utrecht University will support you as much as possible in order to ensure that you complete your degree programme successfully. Examples of a disability / chronic illness include:

  • visual, auditory or motor impairments;
  • dyslexia;
  • chronic and psychological disorders (e.g. depression, an autistic spectrum disorder, ADD or ADHD, Crohn’s disease, diabetes, asthma, rheumatism, or ME / CFS, RSI / CANS, etc.).

If you are unsure whether your condition could be classified as chronic, please schedule an appointment with a Student Counsellor via Student Services.

Apply via Osiris Cases

If you want to discuss your situation and explore if you are eligible for extra support, you can indicate this via Osiris Cases. Osiris Cases is a separate file within Osiris student, the digital registration system of the UU. After you have opened your case in Osiris, you will receive information about the rest of the process, which may include a mandatory appointment with a student advisor.

Have you started a programme at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences this academic year? If so, you will have received information in early July that you can apply for facilities through Osiris. If you have not yet done so, please register via Osiris as soon as possible. If you have any questions about studying with a disability or chronic illness, please contact the student advisors.

If you already had a meeting with the student advisor about the need for facilities but they’re not registered in Osiris Student please contact us via

What kind of support does the university offer?

The student advisor can provide you with the exact details of the options available to you. These will be recorded in Osiris. Utrecht University also provides (financial) support to students who have suffered a serious study delay. Our services include coaching and helping you with your application at the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO). Further information can be found on the Disability or chronic illness page.