Course (de)registration

Students who are enrolled in a Master’s programme will be automatically registered for all the required courses of Semesters 1 and 2. The course registration will take place by 1 September at the latest. If you want to deregister for a course, please contact the Student Information Point (STIP).

Course codes can be found in the course descriptions in the course catalogue.

What you need to do to get enrolled in your Elective course correctly: 

  1. Discuss your options with the coordinator of the Elective course. He / she needs to approve the content of the course, and can give you advice in this matter.
  2. Inform yourself on how to enrol in courses you intend to take, and make sure you are enrolled in time. Deadlines and procedures may differ per institute / organisation, so start orientating early on.
  3. Make sure to collect all necessary certificates and provide them to the Elective coordinator. He / she can make sure everything is registered correctly.

Do make sure to have all the necessary information and certificates at the Elective course coordinator before April 15. Otherwise problems may occur with graduating.

The Graduate School aims to make it possible for Research Master's students to participate in one of the courses of the other Research Master's programmes. If you want to participate in one of these courses you need to do the following:

Contact the teacher of the course you are interested in to see whether he / she approves of your participation. Arrange a confirmation in writing.
Email this confirmation to the Student desk by filling out the registration form.

If you want to participate in a course in the first semester of the second year, contact the Student desk no later than August 1. If you want to participate in a course in the second semester of the second year, contact the Student desk no later than January 1.

If you didn't complete your Master’s degree in the allocated time* and still have to complete your Master’s programme, you can reregister in Studielink.

Please note: Recidivists are not automatically registered for courses. You should inform the Student Information Point (STIP) about which courses you still have to complete.

*An Academic Master’s (full-time) = 1 year
  An Academic Master’s (part-time) = 2 years
  A Research Master’s = 2 years

Admission requirements are hard requirements which you have to fulfil to be admitted to the course. Applicable admission requirements are detailed in the course description and in the Education and Examination Regulations

If you do not meet the admission requirements, but think that you do have the required knowledge, you can apply for a dispensation to the coordinator of the Master's programme.

Prior knowledge required

Prior knowledge required is intended to give an indication of the knowledge that you need in order to pass the course. Details of prior knowledge required can be found in the course description.

Enrolment in your study programme

To continue your programme you must re-enrol annually. If you want to end your programme, you must terminate your enrolment.

You can re-enrol as of 1 June. Make sure to finalise your re-enrolment before 1 September! If you are not enrolled before 1 September you cannot participate in the courses and exams of the first period. The re-enrolment procedure may differ per situation. Read more about (Re)-enrolment.

Please note: It is only possible to enrol with a starting date of 1 September. There is one exception; if you’re starting a Master’s programme with an official starting date in February, then you may enrol as of 1 February. Other exceptions are only possible with the explicit permission of your department or Faculty.

You can cancel your enrolment (application) until the start of your study programme. When enrolling per 1 September, you can cancel until 31 August at the latest, or 31 January at the latest if you are enrolling per 1 February (a starting date that applies to some programmes). In either case, you will not be required to pay any tuition fees.

If you want to unsubscribe for your education at the University of Utrecht, there are a number of things that you need to arrange. Read more about Termination of enrolment.

Students from outside Utrecht University

If you are a Master’s student from outside Utrecht University you can only attend a Master’s course if you have obtained permission to do so from the Master’s coordinator. If you have obtained permission, you still have to register for the course as a minor. Please see our Subsidiary courses page.