During the internship you will familiarise yourself with the clinical child and adolescent psychology profession, train your skills and apply your knowledge in practice. A suitable internship can be in a clinical or research/policy setting in the Netherlands or in your home country (for international students) as long as it meets the requirements (please check with the Internship Coordinator by email).

 As a student you do either a 15 EC or 20 EC internship, depending on the tasks and lenght of the internship. It is for the internship coordinator to decide how much your internship is in EC's. Students who do a 15 EC internship need to combine this with 5 EC Clinical Skills Lab in Period 2.

We advise you to start looking for your internship as early as possible, preferably February before the start of the programme in September. You are supported by the department in finding a place to do your internship. However, you are responsible for finding and applying for a suitable place to conduct your internship. English-language internships are very scarce in the Netherlands as there are not many Dutch children in the Netherlands that also speak English. If you do not master the Dutch language sufficiently you are invited to find a suitable place for doing your internship abroad.

We strongly recommend to attend our internship information meetings as finding a suitable internship has proven to be difficult. During these meetings we will inform you about the requirements and possibilities for the internship and we will provide tools that can help you with your search. If you have any questions, please email us at

Examples of internship organisations

  • Medical institutions: child- and youth psychiatry (outpatient and residential clinics), medical psychology departments in general hospitals, and rehabilitation centres.
  • Municipal mental health offices: Youth Care Office, medical day care institutions, mental health institutions, or private practices.
  • Care for the disabled: child care centres and residential institutions for the mentally impaired, institutions for children and young people with auditive or visual disabilities.
  • Legal institutions: Child Protective Services, parole offices and penitentiaries.
  • Education: school advisory and supervisory services, special education, secondary education.
  • Research and/or policy institutions.