Please note: The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences has decided to cancel all physical internships and research abroad for semester 1, 2020/2021. Please discuss your alternative options with your (internship)coordinator.

It is possible to complete parts of the Master's programme abroad. First you should consider doing your research internship or writing your thesis in another country. Completing course modules abroad is more complicated, since the Master's programme has a set structure that leaves little room for introducing electives.

If you wish to do an internship or write your thesis abroad, you will need to arrange it yourself. You need to start your own search for a place to conduct your research or write your thesis and do so well in advance. You can use the international contacts within the study programme. It is also possible to do a professional internship, but this may cost more effort.

You are not automatically granted access to do an internship or thesis abroad. This is decided by the relevant supervisor(s) and heads of the study programme. Their decision will be based on the appropriateness of the location for the internship and / or thesis in the study programme, and the relevant student’s motivation and skills.

When considering possible destinations, please bear in mind that Utrecht University adheres to all travel advisories (in Dutch) issued by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Students are not allowed to study abroad, perform internships (including residencies) and/or conduct research in any area deemed unsafe by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as indicated by the colour classifications orange (essential travel only) or red (do not travel here).

The full list of classifications is as follows:

Green No particular safety risks
Yellow Use caution, some safety risks
Orange Essential travel only
Red Do not travel here

The international offices at Utrecht University are aware of these travel advisories and will not send students to countries or areas if the relevant area is classified orange or red, or is likely to become so in the near future.

Utrecht University will also decline exchange agreements with institutions in regions classified orange or red. Programmes and exam committees are advised not to approve any plans, grant any funds or assign any credits for study-related activities in these regions.

Whether it is research, writing your thesis or an internship abroad, the rule of thumb is: start planning on time! Count on at least six months to one year of preparation time.

  1. Discuss your plans for an international internship or research project with your tutor / internship coordinator / coordinator of the Master's programme. In some study programmes it can be difficult to fit in an international experience.
  2. Look for an internship or research position: contact professors to ask if they know of opportunities within their international network.
  3. There may be an interesting job vacancy on the Utrecht University website.
  4. The Dutch Scientific Institutes Abroad (NWIB) are educational and research centres that can provide you with support while you are studying, doing an internship or conducting research abroad.

A great deal of practical information is available on the Nuffic website.

Students who are doing part of their study programme abroad must register this in OSIRIS. If you are eligible for a public transport reimbursement (see Financing bar below), you can only receive it if you are properly registered. In order to do this, complete the following steps:

  • Fill in the form, Approval of internship / research / fieldwork abroad (pdf) and have it signed by your supervisor.
  • In OSIRIS, click on the 'International' tab, select 'New request' at the bottom of the page and select the option Internship / (field)research / other stay abroad.
  • Fill in the form completely and do not forget to upload the signed form as an attachment.
  • The International Office will assess your request within a few days. If everything is in order, the status of your request will be set to 'Approved'.
  • Once this is done, your registration in OSIRIS is complete.

International internships or research projects often entail extra costs. It is wise to keep this in mind and ensure proper financial planning. There are different possibilities in order to get a grant to cover (part of) the costs.

Erasmus grant
For internships within Europe, you can apply for an Erasmus grant if you meet the conditions. For more information about the Erasmus grant, contact the International Office.

Utrecht Network Young Researchers Grant

If you are going to a university that is associated with the Utrecht Network, you may be eligible for a Utrecht Network Young Researchers Grant.

Public transport reimbursement
For the months that you spend abroad, you can convert your public transport card (OV) into a reimbursement (OV-vergoeding). See the procedure on the DUO website (in Dutch). You can have the form signed at the STIP desk. Please note, however, that the form will only be signed if you are registered in Osiris (see Registration in Osiris, in the bar above).

Other funds and grants
You can apply for a variety of private funds and grants for your international research or internship. A useful site with an overview of funds is (mainly in Dutch).


For more information about the possibilities of studying abroad, you can contact the coordinator of the Master's programme. For more information about the practical organisation of a stay abroad, you can contact the faculty’s International Office:

Bart Weerdenburg, Loes van Velzen, Nicole van der Hoeven - Sneijder

The International office offers information and support for incoming and outgoing exchange students of the Faculty of Social Sciences. Contact us if you have any questions about studying abroad on a temporary basis.


Due to the corona virus, all of our walk-in hours are cancelled until further notice. During office hours, you can still reach us by phone or mail. Please note, between July 16 and August 9, you can only reach us via email. 

Tel: +31 (0)30 253 3659 (Mondays to Thursdays, not on Fridays)