MATLAB (developed by MathWorks) is a multi-paradigm numerical computing environment and fourth-generation programming language. MATLAB allows matrix manipulations, plotting of functions and data, implementation of algorithms, creation of user interfaces.
Use the software via MyWorkplace
Myworkplace is the easiest way to use the software for free: anywhere, anytime, any device.
Local installation on your PC
The MATLAB license of Utrecht University allows students (and faculty and staff) to install MathWorks software on their personally-owned computers.
Summary of Steps:
- Log in to the MathWorks Portal, using your @students.uu.nl email address. (If you don't have a MathWorks account, you may need to create one first.)
- Download the installer for your selected version of MATLAB and run it.
- Windows users: double click on the Installer named MATLAB_<version number>_win64.exe in your download folder.
- Mac users: double click on the Installer named MATLAB_<version number>_maci64.zip - which will extract the files in the folder named MATLAB_<version number>_maci64. Start the Installer by double clicking InstallForMacOSX.
- In the installer, select Sign in with a MathWorks Account and follow the instructions.
- When prompted, select the Academic – Total Headcount license labeled MATLAB (Individual).
- In the Product Selection screen, select the products you want to download and then click Begin Install.
When the end date of the license is near, you'll see a pop-up. Start the application as Administrator (Start - click with the alternative (usually right) mouse button - More - Run as Administrator) - Click Help – Licensing – Activate Software.
MATLAB and Simulink Training
All students (and faculty and staff) also have free access to MATLAB and Simulink Training Online. Access through matlabacademy.mathworks.com. (If you don't have a MathWorks account, you may need to create one first on the MathWorks Portal.)
MATLAB Online and Simulink Online
All students (and faculty and staff) also have free access to MATLAB Online and Simulink Online. With MATLAB Online and Simulink Online you can access MATLAB and Simulink in your webbrowser without installation. You can also share files with others or across different applications. Access MATLAB Online and Simulink Online throught matlab.mathworks.com.
You can also find free MATLAB Mobile apps in the Apple App Store or Google Play.