Coronavirus: Utrecht University follows the advice of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, see below under 'travel advice/emergency while abroad'.  At this moment all exchanges for study are cancelled for semester 1 & 2 of academic year 2020-2021. Students concerned have been informed.

Below you will find some practical matters that you can or in some cases need to arrange before your departure. Read this information carefully.

Most of the International Offices will invite you for a pre-departure meeting, during which the topics below, and much more, will be addressed. You will meet fellow students who are going to the same university and/or country, and students who have studied there in previous years.

Read the Conditions for a recognised study abroad programme for students of Utrecht University.


You have to request the Exam Committee for approval for the courses that you will follow abroad. This approval usually needs to be applied for before your departure, each faculty has its own procedure for this purpose. More information can be found on the website of your study programme.

For students going abroad Utrecht University offers a course on 'Intercultural learning'.

Students who return from exchange usually mention that they 'learned at lot', but often they find it hard to identify what it is they learned. Research also demonstrates that with better training and guidance, students can benefit much more from their stay abroad: they cope better with change and differences, gain more relevant skills and are also better at assessing and formulating the value of their exchange experience for the job market.

This course helps you make the most of your study abroad period. Interested? Find out more about the course.

  • Do not de-enrol!

If you participate in an exchange programme with a university abroad, one of the conditions is that you remain enrolled at Utrecht University. Arrange your re-enrollment before departure!

  • Re-enrolment at UU

You have to re-enrol at the University every year before September 1. This also applies when you are staying abroad temporarily. More information about re-enrolling at the University in September.

  • At your faculty

Find out through your own Bachelor’s/Master’s programme whether there is a specific deadline for registering for the subjects you would like to take. You can enrol for subjects through Osiris.

It is preferable to remain registered at your current address, for example to maintain your grant from DUO. If this is not possible, let DUO know what your address is during the period of your exchange. You can then receive ‘Studiefinanciering voor uitwonenden’.

The travel advice from the Dutch government can be found on the website Netherlandsworldwide

We advise Dutch nationals to register for the ‘24/7 BZ’ information service of the ‘Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken’ (in Dutch only). It will give you information in case of a crisis situation abroad and about changes in the travel advice.

We also urge you to save their 24/7 (emergency) phone number (+31247247247) and to download the ’24/7 BZ Reis’ app.




When choosing your exchange destination, keep the following in mind: Utrecht University follows the advice given by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

This means students are not allowed to plan their studies, internship / resident, in a region which is coded red or orange (see table below), without consultation with the UU.

The colour codes have the following explanation:

Green no special security risks
Yellow attention: security risks
Orange travel only when necessary
Red do not travel

The International Offices of Utrecht University are informed about the travel advice. When code red or orange is given, students are not allowed to travel. Study programmes and boards of examiners are advised not to approve plans, award credits or award grants for study related activities in these areas.

Should the official travel advice change to orange during your stay abroad, the university will always contact you. Because your safety is important to us, we aim to tailor our advice to your specific situation. Utrecht University may urgently advise you to return to the Netherlands. Discuss your situation with your exchange coordinator from the International Office, so that you can decide together which steps you should take to ensure your safety.

By subletting your room during your stay abroad you can substantially save up on rent expenses. You can find a subletter by placing an ad on a platform like Housing Anywhere or through your own network of friends and peers. 

What should you take into account?

  • Always ask your landlord for permission. It might be the case that a clause in your rental agreement prohibits you from subletting the property. Also, inform your house mates that there will be a subletter
  • Reach complete agreement on the period of stay, the rent (and surplus utilities like electricity, water and heating, Internet), smoking, pets etcetera. Stipulate this in a formal contract and ask the subletter for a copy of their passport. Sample contracts can be found on the website of Housing Anywhere
  • Create an inventory list in which the current inventory, condition of the room, and any defects are recorded; store items that you do not want your subletter to use

Subletting platform Housing Anywhere

Housing Anywhere is an online platform where students worldwide can sublet their room to other students during their stay abroad. As a UU student you can place an ad without any costs involved by following the steps below. If you offer up your room for rent you additionally receive 20% discount if you book a room on the platform.*

  1. Register via this special link for UU students and activate your account. Placing an ad is completely free if you register as a UU student
  2. Follow this link to place an ad
  3. From the respondents you can choose your favorite candidate and request them to book online
  4. You receive the first month's rent 48 hours after the student has moved into your room

* Contact for the 20% discount on your booking and any questions you may have

 International roommate

Each year Utrecht welcomes new students from abroad for a temporary stay. During your stay abroad you could help out an international student and provide them the opportunity to experience the genuine Utrecht student life. An international roommate also has to offer a lot to your housemates. Find out by reading this DUB blog or watch this short video.  

When you leave, take copies of the following documents with you:
• all official documents, such as your passport;
•telephone numbers of the host institution (higher education and/or internship provider), local embassies or consulates, banks and insurers;
• information on blood-type and other medical data.

For vaccinations you can go to either the GG&GD or the HR at the UMC Utrecht (available for all UU students).  For more information call: 088-7556400.

You need to add your contact information abroad in Osiris before you leave.
Utrecht University needs  this information in case an emergency happens in the region where you are staying.

What to do:
- Step 1: log in to Osiris
- Step 2: go to the tab ‘stay abroad’
- Step 3: click on ‘Contact information’ behind your Exchange application and fill out the form.

If you do not have an address abroad yet, then you can enter this information as soon as you do have it.


For Dutch students

International students are advised to check with their current insurance companies if the insurances will be valid for the stay abroad. 


The cost of your student travel card (Studenten OV-chipkaart) can be reimbursed, because you will not be using the card while you are away. The travel cost reimbursement form (OV-vergoedingsformulier) can only be signed once you have been fully accepted by the host university (see Step 3). You can have it signed by your Exchange Coordinator or at the student desk of your faculty.

ISIC-card (International Student Identity Card)
ISIC card is an international student card, which is issued in more than 120 countries. With this card you can get discounts on travel, in restaurants, in museums etc. You can visit the ISIC Nederland website to see an overview of all available discounts.

The ISIC card costs € 15 and can be purchased via If you rather purchase the card offline, visit the KILROY Travel or JoHo Travel shops.

Beursopener - Nuffic’s database of private funds

Summer schools in Europe - A database of summer courses in Europe

Wilweg - All (general) information about studying and internships abroad

Nuffic – The Dutch Organisation for International Cooperation in Higher Education. On the website you can find information about grant programmes amongst other things.

NWS – NWS is a network by and for Dutch students who wish to do an entire  degree abroad, have previously studied abroad or who are planning to do so.

Fulbright Center - Information about studying, doing research and internships in the United States.