Step 2. Application at UU
How do I apply
Below you will find important points to consider while you are preparing for your study abroad application. Before you submit your application, it is important you take all necessary steps. Via the yellow button below you can download the application instructions. Tip: save this document on a location where you can easily find it, and check it again at a later stage.Application instructions study abroad
Application in Osiris
A study abroad application is always submitted/requested via Osiris Student. Make sure you submit your application before the deadline! More information see below.
Exchange Academic Year 2022-2023
Deadline for submitting your study abroad application is December 1st 2021. Even if you are considering an exchange in semester 2 (start in the beginning of 2023) you are advised to apply before this deadline. The reason for this is that some partner universities will be full after the first round. You can start your application from November 1 onwards.
Please note: UCU and UCR have a different application procedures and deadlines
Exchange Academic Year 2021-2022: It is not possible anymore to apply for an exchange in academic year 2021-2022
You will have to submit a study plan with your study abroad application. Please make sure you use the correct format.
Study plan for your faculty
- Faculties: Humanities, Science & UMCU
- Faculties: Geosciences, Law, Economics & Governance, Veterinary Medicine
- Faculty: Social and Behavioural Sciences
How to fill in the study plan?
- Check whether the University of choice offers courses you are looking for (base your course choice on the current academic year)
- Read the information of your faculty (under 'Study Abroad' on this website) on which conditions apply for your study programme and who will have to sign your study plan
- Aim your study plan on your first choice and write everything in English
- More information can be found in the application instructions (see yellow button above)
Please note: A signed study plan does not imply that you automatically will receive credits for these courses. A signed study plan does not guarantee that you will receive 30 ECTS. This decision is made by the board of examiners of your study program. At Utrecht University there are no general rules for transferring credits received abroad. This authorization lies with the board of examiners of every study programme, this means that various boards may take different decisions. However guidelines may be found in the credit conversion table
Often you will have to hand in a motivation letter. Keep your first choice in mind when you write this letter and write the letter in English.
Students from the Faculty of Humanities need to complete a motivation form instead of a motivation letter. Please download the form from the Faculty website.
More information can be found above in the application instructions under the yellow button.
Osiris Stay Abroad will open for applications on November 1. You can apply from then onwards.
- Go to Osiris Student
- Click on the ‘Stay Abroad’ tab*
- Click on ‘New request’ (bottom left)
- Select the correct application request: 'Application Exchange 2022-2023: Exchange to partner university'
- List a maximum of 3 universities, at least 2 are required.
- Click on ‘Submit’
*A new window will open in the old OSIRIS student lay-out. In this window, please click again on 'stay abroad'. You may have to log in again in case your session has expired.
After the December 1 deadline
The allocation process takes place in several rounds. In the first round students are placed at the university of their first choice. Students who could not be placed (because there were more application than available places, or they didn't fulfil the grade requirement) will, if possible, be placed at their second choice. After this the same process goes for the third round. You can only be placed at your second or third choice when there are still places left after the first round.
For each application, the International Office will check if the plans fit the conditions for exchange and the selected partner university. When there are more applications for a partner university than places available the following applies:
- For the faculty partner universities of Geosciences, Humanities, Medicine, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Vetinary Sciences, University College Roosevelt and University College Utrecht selection will take place based on the application documents.
- For universitywide partners places will be allocated by drawing lots.
- For the application procedure of the Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance check the page of the Faculty
- For the application procedure of the Faculty of Humanities check the page of the Faculty
- For the faculty partner universities of Science places will be allocated by drawing lots.
- In case of more applications than places for a universitywide destination; only an exchange for 1 semester is possible not a full year exchange.
Chances of being selected
Placement for a universitywide exchange is not less likely than placement for a faculty exchange programme, or the other way around. For over half of all destinations drawing lots or selection is not required, a satisfactory application is sufficient to be placed directly. It could be usefull to check on the page with exchange destinations how many places are available at a partner university and to think about the popularity of this destination. Keep in mind that this might be surprising in a positive way. You can always ask the International Office for more information.
We do advise you not to compile a top 3 with destinations that mention: 'selection was necessary in the past few years'. These partner universities could be placed as your first choice but better not chosen as a second or third choice.