Visual and Sensual Cultures
The minor Visual and Sensual Cultures introduces you to key aspects of modern visual and sensual cultures over the period 1850 to today. You will be taught methods, theories and conceptual frameworks enabling you to delve deeper into this extensive domain of study.
|Number of EC|
|Number of courses|
4 compulsory courses
At least 45 EC for category 1 (Bachelor Introduction)
In the minor Visual and Sensual Cultures we look at art, literature, magazines, cooking, photography, film, fashion, Instagram, shops and shopping, city planning, perfume, exhibitions, war and terror, politics and much more. We address questions such as:
- Why is our culture so ocularcentric?
- How did the hierarchy of the senses come into being?
- What is the perceptual impact of the so called lower senses (touch, smell, taste)… ?
- How do art and politics behave and act in moments of crisis and situations of political and social conflict?
- How do artists, writers, designers, architects… use Manifestos to express their desire for another kind of world, another kind of art and literature…?
- What do artists think about audiences?
- What is Audience studies and how has the audience been theorized?
You will learn methods, theories and conceptual frameworks enabling you to delve deeper into this extensive domain of study. You will learn to consider the societal and ideological treatment of images and the political and economic realities in which they circulate. You will learn how to contextualise artistic Manifestos and you will learn different methodologies by which you can research our sensual and visual experience of art, literature, film, and other both artistic as well as non-artistic cultural objects and events.
Matching bachelor's programmes
The minor represents a useful practical and theoretical addition to almost every track imaginable within the Department of History and Art History, as well as Taal- en Cultuur studies, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Media en Cultuur, Media and Culture and Literary Studies.
The minor in Visual and Sensual Cultures consists of 4 courses to be followed in block 3 and 4 (30 EC in total).
If you wish to know more, or have questions about this minor, please contact the Student Desk Humanities.